Contact Us

02 9875 1122


43/7 Sefton Road,
NSW 2120

Online Enquiry

Project Type
* Required fields

What Happens If I Put Too Much Chlorine into the Pool?

Light blue pool with recycled brick paving

Posted By  
13:00 PM

Having too much chlorine in the pool can be dangerous. Not only is it bad for your overall health, but it can also cause problems for the equipment and finishes in the pool. Improper maintenance of chlorine levels in the pool can lead to several issues and cause pain and discomfort to you and your family. Here, we will explain what happens if you put too much chlorine into the pool.

Although the thought of going into a pool full of chemicals that can harm you or your family can be a bit nerve-wracking, it is essential to add some amount of chlorine into the pool to keep it safe and clean. Thus, whoever is in charge of pool maintenance should ensure that they only add the correct amount to kill the bacteria and other microscopic organisms.

A safe pool can quickly become a pit of harmful chemicals when too much chlorine is added to the water. Over-chlorinated pools can be dangerous for swimmers in many ways. The gases that come off from the evaporation of over-saturated water with chlorine can enter the eyes and nose and cause severe discomfort and itchiness. In addition, chlorine contact with skin can cause irritation on the body that feels similar to a burning sensation. Exposure to over-chlorinated water can provoke eye and skin irritation, lung irritation, and asthma.

In addition to being bad for your health, the excess-chlorinated pool can eventually become dangerous. High chlorine levels tend to lower the pH level of the water, making it more acidic. The high acidity causes the concrete surfaces, pool equipment, and metal fittings around the pool to corrode. The high-water acidity can also damage the interior finish and paving surfaces around your pool. It can also damage other pool accessories and equipment.

Symptoms of Chlorine Poisoning

Chlorine poisoning has a few tell-tale signs that you should watch out for, although the cases are usually few.

  • Dull chest pain
  • Very red and very Itchy eyes
  • Sudden onset of vomiting and nausea
  • Shallow or difficult breathing
  • Burning sensation in the throat
  • Skin redness

Unless you or your family members went for a swim in a pool that contained high concentrations of chlorine in the water, the chances are that the symptoms are mild. You may, however, still feel discomfort that lasts for a few days.



If you ever get exposed to over-chlorinated water, don’t use the ‘wait-and-see’ technique when you begin to notice the symptoms. You should seek treatment immediately to minimise discomfort until the symptoms subside. For more information regarding pool service and installation, please get in touch with us so that we can assist you.